Over the weekend, you may have received an email from a group called Peace Officers of California (POC) requesting that you take action in a campaign to decertify the California Statewide Law Enforcement Association (CSLEA) as your bargaining unit representative. This is the same group that was responsible for the failed attempt to sever the peace officer members of the unit from the non-sworn members.
This is once again action motivated by greed and self-interest and is not designed to look out for the interests of the entire bargaining unit.
Here is what you need to know:
- Signing an interest card to decertify CSLEA undermines all the positive work that CSLEA is attempting to accomplish. Right now we are in the midst of negotiations for a new contract.
- POC was created by Fish and Game Wardens who were dissatisfied with the 25% salary increases they were provided in the 2006 contract reopener. They wanted a 43% pay increase at the expense of all other classifications within CSLEA. No other peace officer group in CSLEA would have received a pay increase.
- For several years, POC has claimed that the non-sworn members of CSLEA have been holding back the peace officers of this bargaining unit from better pay and benefits. It is insulting to believe POC is now reaching out to our valued non-sworn members and asking for support.
- A successful decertification campaign would result in your forfeiture of direct access to the staff of attorneys in our legal division and the legal defense fund which guarantees you civil and criminal defense in matters concerning your employment.
- POC is promising to become an affiliate of AFSCME, a 1.6 million member organization headquartered in Washington D.C. which is a vast organization comprised of miscellaneous non-peace officer, non-public safety employees. This is not in the best interest of our members who founded and run CSLEA.
CSLEA has successfully fought off attacks such as this before and will do everything in its power to protect what belongs to this association and its members.
CSLEA's recommendations : Do not sign an interest card to decertify CSLEA . Do opt out of future emails from POC.