SACRAMENTO- In response to a request from California Fish & Game Warden Association (CFGWA ) President Nick Buckler, on September 3, 2015, California Statewide Law Enforcement Association (CSLEA) leadership met with CFGWA representatives to discuss the status of CFGWA as it relates to CSLEA and the prospect of warden involvement in CSLEA affiliate leadership positions.
In addition to Buckler, CFGWA was represented by Ryan McCoy and Josh Zulliger. Present on behalf of CSLEA were:
- Alan Barcelona, CSLEA and FOP Lodge #77 President
- Tina Brazil, CSLEA Senior Vice President and President of CHP-Public Safety Dispatchers Association
- Ricardo Sanchez, CSLEA Chief Financial Officer and RPPOA Trustee
- Al Cardwood, CSLEA Director and Association of Special Agents-DOJ President
- Kevin Highbaugh, CSLEA Director and California Alcohol Beverage Control Agent President
- Matt Yarbrough, CSLEA Director and Resource Protection Peace Officers Association President
- Richard Carrillo, CSLEA Supervising Field Representative
- Kasey Clark, CSLEA Chief Counsel/General Manager
During the two-hour meeting, CSLEA proposed a structure which would provide for the continued existence and advocacy by CFGWA while at the same time permitting warden representatives to have a greater voice in representing the interests of wardens through the recognized CSLEA affiliate, RPPOA.
RPPOA President Matt Yarbrough emphasized that his board would welcome warden involvement as overseeing the interests of wardens is best suited for representatives elected from the warden classification.
Buckler, McCoy and Zulliger were appreciative of the time CSLEA leadership took to meet with them and indicated they would contemplate all that was discussed in the hope of finding a way for greater warden involvement from within CSLEA.