SAN BERNARDINO — On March 28, 2022, California Attorney General Rob Bonta announced the arrest of, and charges filed against, a San Bernardino man found in possession of illegal firearms and ammunition, despite being previously convicted of a felony and banned from owning firearms. The individual was on parole after serving a sentence of 32-years to life for a violent felony and is prohibited from owning and possessing firearms and ammunition.
According to the California Department of Justice, DOJ Bureau of Firearms special agents observed the suspect purchasing an AR-15 style ghost gun kit at a San Bernardino gun show. After obtaining a search warrant, agents located the illegal weapons and ammunition at the suspect’s home.
“Across California, we are working day in and day out to make our communities safer,” said Attorney General Bonta. “Whether it is a widespread APPS sweep, cross-referencing gun purchases in individual cases, or conducting undercover work, these strategies are critical to preventing gun violence in California. I am grateful for the efforts of our hard-working DOJ Special Agents whose work resulted in the charges we are announcing today.”
“This type of undercover work by California DOJ special agents contributes to the safety of all of us,” said California Statewide Law Enforcement Association (CSLEA) President Alan Barcelona. “Everyday California DOJ special agents conduct investigations that potentially put them in harm’s way and we thank them for putting the safety of the public before their own.”
Special agents recovered from the defendant’s possession an un-serialized handgun, un-serialized short-barreled rifle, ammunition, and an AR-15 style ghost gun kit. The defendant is charged with two felony counts of felon in possession of a firearm, one felony count of possession of a short-barreled rifle, and a felony count of unlawful possession of ammunition. Charges were filed in the San Bernardino Superior Court.
A copy of the complaint can be found here.