The 200 members of the Association of Motor Vehicle Investigators of California are the guardians of the state’s most important documents of its citizens: driver’s licenses and identification cards.
AMVIC members are sworn peace officers who conduct criminal and administrative investigations, execute search warrants, and conduct surveillance and undercover operations. They are highly specialized investigators assigned to task force assignments across the state and are routinely called upon to assist allied law enforcement agencies.
After 9/11, these investigators moved to the front lines of California’s contribution to national security, and they now conduct joint operations with the Department of Homeland Security.
In addition to tracking down counterfeit driver licenses and fake identification-card rings, AMVIC investigators are also charged with:
- Investigating complaints of ID theft.
- Investigating auto theft.
- Investigating complaints about Occupational Licensees such as new and used auto dealers, auto brokers, auto dismantlers, auto registration service providers, vehicle verifiers, driving schools, and traffic-violation schools.
- Investigating odometer fraud.
- Investigate computer fraud.